It has always been difficult for me to find the right balance between my personal and professional life. I’m passionate about what I do, I don’t have the 9 to 5 lifestyle. Most of the time you will find me working at night because I know that’s when I get the most work done: I’m productive and inspired when I know that everyone else is sleeping. However, I understand the importance of implementing healthier habits in my life. As an entrepreneur or artist, it’s important to be in a good state of mind to deal with everyday’s challenges.
“It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.” – Muhammad Ali
When we have a vision, we often forget to take a step back we just want to get the work done because we’re fueled by passion for what we do . If you don’t take care of yourself, if you’re not sleeping and eating well then you’re only adding more obstacles to your journey and things can get ugly very quickly (believe me, I’ve been there!). Here are a few things I’ve come to identify to help me get a little healthier (still working on it, every single day!)
- Find out when you are most productive and start blocking that period of time for your most important tasks. Not everyone can wake up and start working at 5am! It’s important to pay attention to your energy levels throughout the day and adapt your schedule accordingly.
- Take care of your mind. We often get caught up by the busyness of our daily life BUT It is important to take the time to sit down with our thoughts. I use the iPhone app called ‘Headspace’ it’s an amazing meditation app created by Andy Puddicombe. I’ve been using it for a year now and even if I don’t use it every day, I can see how beneficial it is. I also recommend journaling if you like writing down your thoughts, it’s a great process to understand what’s going on in your head!
- Stay away from negative people This is one of the most important things you need in your life for your success and well-being: positive people. If you’re anything like me, you get drained very quickly when you’re around negative people. I’ve come to realize it is super duper important to have positive people in your circle, people who inspire you and encourage in everything you do, and not the other way around.
- Take care of your body I’m not too much of a sport person so it’s been hard for me to get into exercise but I walk a lot and I recently started Yoga! It is truly beneficial to regularly exercise cause you can get rid of your tensions. Preparing your food properly is as important as working out. Believe me I’ve not quit chocolate (just yet) but feeding your body with the right food will definitely change the way you feel.
- Unplug and recharge your batteries I’m an organisation freak. I tend to write down every single thing that I need to do during the week. If you also plan everything ahead, make sure you plan some ‘me time’ to unplug and recharge your batteries. I usually turn off my phone/ emails notifications during the weekend to disconnect and get some proper sleep. YES, Sleep is so important!